On February 24, as part of the III Winter Military World Games Opening Ceremony, the final leg of the torch relay took place in the Sochi Olympic Park. Juvenile CSKA sportsmen, famous Russian Olympic sportsmen, military personnel took part In the final leg of 2,017 meters distance. The relay was completed by the Games ambassadors, two time Olympic Champions, who lit the flame of the III Winter Military World Games, biathlon athletes Lieutenant Colonel Svetlana Ishmuratova and Colonel Anatoly Alyabiev.
In Sochi the torch was carried over the Medal Square before the Olympic Cauldron fountain, through part of the Sochi Motor-Racing Track, where on April 28-30, 2017 Formula 1 Grand Prix is to take place, and then to the Ice Cube arena, where at 20:17 the Military Games Opening Ceremony began. The III Winter Military World Games torch relay was accompanied by Tiger armoured vehicles.
The length of the Sochi relay leg equaled 2,017 meters. Totally 20 torchbearers took part in the final leg of torch relay. 18 people ran a distance of 100 meters each. Among the final leg participants were juvenile CSKA sportsmen Elena Lukicheva and David Eksuzyan, Albert Demchenko, three time Olympic Vice Champion in sliding sport, Nadezhda Talanova and Galina Kukleva, Olympic Champions in biathlon, Evgenia Medvedeva-Arbuzova, Olympic Champion in cross-country skiing, Vladimir Drachev, four time World Champion in biathlon.
The torch was carried by renowned military personnel, winners and medalists of All-Army competitions Command Starts, in particular, Sergey Sevryukov, Commanding Officer of the 49th Army, Rear Admiral Sergey Rachuk, famous Russian submarine officer, Hero of Russia; Major General Dmitry Krayev, Deputy Commander of the Northern Fleet, Northern Fleet Coastal Troops Commander; Lieutenant Egor Kushtaev, the Best Specialist in Mountain Training-2016.
The 217-meter finishing part of the final leg was completed and the flame was lit in the Ice Cube arena by the III Winter Military World Games ambassadors, two time Olympic Champions, biathlon athletes Lieutenant Colonel Svetlana Ishmuratova and Colonel Anatoly Alyabiev.
The following athletes took part in the Sochi leg of torch relay:
- juvenile CSKA sportsman E.A. Lukicheva, Master of Sports in rhythmic gymnastics, Krasnodarsky krai Champion in group exercises.
- A.M. Demchenko, Lieutenant Colonel, three time Olympic Vice Champion in sliding sport, Merited Master of Sports.
- S.M. Sevryukov, General Lieutenant, South Eastern Military District, Commanding Officer of the 49th Army, multiple medalist of All-Army competitions Command Starts.
- Rear Admiral S.V. Rachuk, Naval Fleet, Deputy Head of Military Scientific Training Center, Naval Academy, Naval Fleet, 2016 RF Armed Forces Champion in hockey, Captain of Naval Fleet team, medalist of All-Army competitions Command Starts.
- N.A. Talanova, Olympic Champion in biathlon.
- Major V.N. Buslaev, Russian Aerospace Forces, Battalion Commander, winner of 2016 All-Army competitions Command Starts among battalion commanders.
- Captain D.A. Ivanov, Battery Commander, 244 Artillery Brigade, Baltic Fleet, winner of 2016 All-Army competitions Command Starts in among company commanders.
- G.A. Kukleva, Olympic Champion and three time World Champion in biathlon.
- Lieutenant Colonel S.I. Sedin, the Army, Chief Inspector of Recruitment and Reserves Department, Main HQ of the Army, Champion of 2015-2016 Central Military Administrative Bodies Spartakiad.
- Colonel E.M. Nikulin, Central Military District, Electronic Warfare Brigade Commander, Central Military District Champion of the 2016 Command Starts competitions among general commanding officers.
- E.V. Medvedeva-Arbuzova, Olympic Champion in cross-country skiing.
- Captain A.V. Gonchar, Russian Strategic Missile Forces, Commander of Missile Regiment Engineer Support Group, Strategic Missile Forces Champion in 2016 Command Starts competitions among company commanders.
- Lieutenant Colonel S.A. Chupin, Eastern Military District, Brigade Commander, Radiological, Chemical and Biological Defense Forces, winner of 2016 Command Starts competitions among general commanding officers.
- V.P. Drachev, Olympic medalist, four time World Champion in biathlon.
- Captain A.N. Bragin, Airborne Forces, Assistant Commander over Physical Training, 98 Airborne Division, Airborne Forces, the Best Physical Training Specialist in the RF Armed Forces-2016.
- Lieutenant E.V. Kushtaev, Military Institute for Physical Culture, Mountain Training instructor, the Best Mountain Training Specialist-2016.
- Major General D.V. Krayev, Deputy Commander of the Northern Fleet, Northern Fleet Coastal Troops commander, medalist of 2016 All-Army competitions Command Starts.
- Juvenile CSKA sportsman D.S. Eksuzyan, five time winner of Krasnodarsky krai Competitions in army hand-to-hand combat, winner of the Russian Competition in hand-to-hand combat.
- S.I. Ishmuratova, two time Olympic Champion in biathlon, Merited Master of Sports, Deputy Head for Moral Affairs, Federal Autonomous Institution RF Ministry of Defense CSKA, Lieutenant Colonel
- A.N. Alyabiev, Soviet biathlon athlete, Olympic Champion, Merited Master of Sports of the USSR, Colonel
Torch relay information
On the first leg, on February 11-18, the fire was lit in the five extremal geographical locations of our country, Lopatinsky lighthouse on Sakhalin island, observation platform at Yantarny settlement (Kaliningradskaya oblast’), top of Elbrus mountain (Kabardino-Balkaria Republic), 9th blast furnace of Magnitogorsk Integrated Iron-and-Steel Works (Chelyabinskaya oblast’), Lappish ethnical village (Murmanskaya oblast’).
On the second leg, on February 18, the lamps with the flame arrived to five largest cities, centers of military districts and the Northern Fleet, St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Yekaterinburg, Khabarovsk and Severomorsk, where torch relays took place.
After the torch relays were finished, the torches were handed over to the III Winter Military World Games ambassadors who delivered the torches to Moscow.
Renowned sportsmen from different regions of Russia acted as the Games ambassadors and participants of the torch relay. The torch from Severomorsk was delivered by Svetlana Kapanina, seven time absolute World Champion in aerial acrobatics, women ranking; the fire from Rostov-on-Don was delivered by Svetlana Khorkina, two time Olympic Champion in artistic gymnastics, retired Lieutenant Colonel; St.Petersburg was presented by Anatoly Alyabiev, two time Olympic Champion in biathlon, Colonel; Svetlana Ishmuratova, two time Olympic Champion in biathlon, Lieutenant Colonel, arrived to Moscow from Yekaterinburg, whereas the longest way from Khabarovsk was covered by the torch in the hands of the Russian rower Georgy Tsybulnikov, bronze medalist of Olympic Games.
Five flames were united into one upon the 23rd of February, 2017 in Moscow, at the gala concert at the National Kremlin Palace to celebrate the Day of the Defender of the Motherland. After the great ceremony the flame of the Games was sent to the place to host the competitions, to Sochi city, where upon the 24th of February, at the Olympic Park, the 2,017 meters distance final leg of the torch relay took place.